A Parasitic Infection From Sashimi

Researchers report a case of anisakiasis, caused by nematodes of the genus Anisakis—a parasite transmitted to humans through raw seafood such as sushi and sashimi. In the May issue of Gastroenterology, Kaori Ikegami et al describe the case of a 47-year-old man who arrived at the emergency department with severe epigastric pain.

Read more
  • A Case of Duodenal Ulcers from Strongyloides

A Case of Duodenal Ulcers from Strongyloides

Researchers describe a nearly missed case of Strongyloides infection in the April issue of Gastroenterology, had it not been for analysis of duodenal biopsies. Douglas Grunwald et al describe the case of a 74-year-old Jamaican-born woman with a 3-month history of dyspepsia, nausea, bloating, early satiety, and weight loss of 40 lbs. In

Read more